- The Missions
- The World Heritage List and Los Compadres
- About Us
- Hours & Directions
Originally christened San José de los Nazonis while in East Texas, the reestablished mission of San Juan Capistrano made its permanent home along the banks of the San Antonio River in 1731. By mid-century, San Juan, with its rich farm and pasturelands, was a regional supplier of agricultural produce. With the surplus from these products, San Juan established a trade network stretching east to Louisiana and south to Coahuila, Mexico. This thriving economy helped the mission to survive epidemics and attacks in its final years.